Re: questions for those that run oracle/linux

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:24:43 GMT

tojo wrote:

> In article <bOJ%b.14898$A12.11056_at_edtnps84>,
> glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com says...
>

>>Once you have oracle installed, db up & running, do you turn X off
>>completely? Or do you keep kde, gnome or a light interface like fvwm
>>running for doing GUI type tasks on the server? Or, do you run it with
>>no X running and do all your administration tasks remotely?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>ps. anyone using SuSE's LVM with Oracle?
>>

> I keep KDE for doing GUI type tasks. Most admin I do remotely from a
> Windows PC.
>
> -- Tom

I was keeping KDE going on a SuSE 7.3 box, but from time to time the swap gets "eaten up" and drags the machine to its knees, which I heard can be a KDE issue. So for now I'm running fvwm on said machine, it lets me do anything I want if I want to use a GUI, and seems a lot faster for these tasks. Also has its own slick little monitoring applet running to keep an eye on memory, cpu etc.. But I think if I were to run this in production, I'd be inclined to turn X off completely. I am curious about possible performance gains doing this, perhaps if I get time one day I'll do some comparisons... Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:24:43 CST