Re: format of the output

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:53:59 -0500

"Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:c1n26d$u1q$1_at_news4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
| Vu Pham wrote:

| > I think you remind me that NAME is an Oracle keyword. Yes I forgot
that - To
| > be truth, I didn't know that - I am still new to Oracle ( I just
learned
| > that I need to connect as sysdba to execute the above sql ) .

| Better stop that - learn to create a user that uses it's own tablespace,
| not SYSTEM (as "/ as sysdba" would)
| --
|
| Regards,
| Frank van Bortel

just to elaborate on frank's comment

the sysdba option is only for major database maintenance activity -- like reorganizing the physical structure
do not use it for anything that has to do with application data

use the SYSTEM account to set up other accounts (create other users) that will own the application data

look into the following SQL statements

CREATE USER (including how to set default tablespaces and quotas)

GRANT (to asign system privileges or oracle-supplied roles to users or to roles that you create)

CREATE ROLE (once you have a good understanding of privileges, you'll want to define your own groups of privileges and assign them to roles)

GRANT (then you can grant your custom role(s) to users)

this should get you started -- there's more to consider, but make sure you understand the basics of users and privileges before you go much further

;-{ mcs Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 06:53:59 CST