Informix to Oracle migration

From: Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:29:22 -0000

A potential customer has asked me to provide an estimate of how long it will take to migrate their 4GL suite running on Informix "to Oracle".

(I'm reminded here of Obnoxio's post of a while ago ridiculing another rather vague question: "I have a piece of string in my pocket. How long is it? It's red by the way ...")

Seriously, though, what sort of things should we be asking beyond these?:

  1. Complexity of schema (what sort of things, other than serial, are going to be difficult to convert?)
  2. Number of lines of 4GL
  3. Number of stored procedures and triggers
  4. Total number of tables 5 Volume of data
  5. Availability of original programmers/BAs
  6. Quality of documentation

Assuming they don't want to re-write their app, they have to use a third-party "universal" compiler like 4Js or Querix (or of course Websphere EGL, if they've the time to kill). Any other options?

All (constructive) comments gratefully received.

thank you.
Capt. P Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 06:29:22 CST