Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released - now OT if not originally

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:03:11 +0100

On 26 Feb 2004 22:02:15 +0000, Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com> wrote:

>Those posting announcements of free software they have developed for
>use with Oracle, which they develop without payment, are no more
>driven by ulterior commercial motives than you or any other poster.
>There is no need to flame them or lump them in the same category as
>spammers, their contribution here is just as valuable as any other
>poster's.

The problem with them is the *sole reason* of their presence is promoting their own products. They usually only reply when their product can be used. Secondly with sufficient software available, much of the offered 'free software' is just saying 'Hey, I know better than Oracle, and better than everyone else, and here is my attempt to re-invent the wheel!'
Also they usually don't guarantee the 'free software' will remain free, or they don't offer the 'free software' to sell of other non-free products.

The sole reason to post those announcements, in the era of people being incapable of finding out how to download Oracle products, is those people don't have to exercise any effort to find 'free software' Whether those people are better off with those products offered is a different story.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA