Re: Using oracle dump (quickly!)

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2004 01:46:31 -0800

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<OMydnS8rJbr_HabdRVn-uw_at_comcast.com>...
> > Usually a buffer parameter of 8M is more than sufficient
>
> I use 100M+ as well - always works. Hope user can decide if bigger is
> better
>
> > Setting LOG_BUFFER too anything
> > higher than 1M is useless, as the buffer is written to disk when 1M is
> > dirty.
>
> As far as I remember, 1M is upper bound for _log_io_size under Oracle8
> (according to Steve Adams as well). _log_io_size is 1/3 of the log buffer
> expressed in log blocks. So setting to LOG_BUFFER 4M during the big import
> would not hurt

Evidently your memory is failing you and you didn't review the docs as I requested. There is an upper limit of 1Mb. So setting LOG_BUFFER to 4M doesn't have ANY impact. Could you please verify and provide proof for anything you post? So far you have only provided incorrect advice and made an utter fool of yourself.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 03:46:31 CST