Re: What (cheap) version of linux runs 10G?

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:35:17 +0000

On 23 Feb 2004 16:56:39 -0800, mathewbutler_at_yahoo.com (Matt) wrote:

>Metalink says:
>
>"Red Hat Linux AS 2.1/3.0"
>
>The cheapest this gets is approx 1500 Australian dollars.
>
>Has anyone managed to get this running (at home) with any other versions?

 Installed and runs apparently successfully (haven't really pushed it much yet though, and it's an unsupported environment so beware and don't run anything important on it) with RedHat 9.0 downloaded from redhat.com recently. The following are good guides:

http://www.dizwell.com/oracle_on_redhat9.htm (from Howard Rogers - although it is geared towards 9i it is still almost all applicable to 10g)

and

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml (specifically for 10g on Redhat)

 FWIW I didn't do the glibc downgrade suggested; it's needed for a clean install of 9i but seemingly not for 10g. YMMV.

 Of particular importance for an unsupported distribution of Linux is the '-ignoresysprereqs' parameter for the installer (but also search around for the other alternative which involves editing a configuration file for the installer).

--
Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> / Space: disk usage analysis tool
<http://www.andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space>