Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released

From: Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2004 20:50:48 +0000

If you consider that posting details of PEAR is spam, what is the appropriate forum for such announcements?

comp.databases.oracle.marketplace isn't it, because that is full of announcements of Oracle conferences and paid-for or proprietary software. It doesn't make sense to make people interested in free software to work with Oracle (which must be quite a few, even if you are not one of them) read all the messages just to get the ones of interest.

In the absence of any group
comp.databases.oracle.free-third-party-tools, I see no reason not to post such announcements on this group. The charter says

>Comp.databases.oracle.misc is a news group where topics generally
>related to the use of software from Oracle Corporation may be
>posted. This group provides a forum for topics which do not fall
>within any of the more specific comp.databases.oracle subgroups.

As far as I can tell there is no more specific comp.databases.oracle subgroup for things such as free third-party libraries for database access. The charter also says

>This news group is not intended as a marketplace where employment
>advertisements or commercial announcements may be posted. These
>should be directed to comp.databases.oracle.marketplace.

The PEAR message was neither an employment advertisement nor a commercial announcement. I do not see how it is off-topic for this group, nor do I think it is appropriate to stick the label 'spam' on any posted article you think is off-topic.

--
Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>