Re: Using oracle dump (quickly!)

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:04:51 +0100

Dan Bolser wrote:

> Hi, and thanks everyone for the replies, I will start looking at the
> various material various people suggested.
>
> I really appreciate your willingness to help!
>
> As requested, here is the details which come with the dump... hopefully
> they should help answer some of the questions you have... (that I should
> know)...
>
> Here are 'schema' details (god knows how they are created)...
>
> http://www.ebi.ac.uk/msd-srv/docs/dbdoc/
>
> I include 'hardware requirements' below just to make you jelous... ;)
>
> NOTES---
>
> To download
> - ftp to 'ftp.ebi.ac.uk ', log in as 'xxxx', password
> 'xxxx'
>
> *(sorry, you need a licence to download).
>
> - cd pub/beta00/oracle_exports/full00.01
> - download all files
> - follow instructions in README
> - uncompress files (I used gzip)
> - install
>
> Some notes from the README file:
>
> MSDSD Full Release
> - Database version: beta00.01_2003-12-01
> - Data version: 01-2003_10_02
> - Import files suitable for any server platform and versions of Oracle
> 9.0.1.3 plus
>
> 1. Notes
> 1b. The importing of data into an Oracle database is suitable for any
> hardware server platform using Oracle 9.0.1.3 or later. We recommend
> 9.0.1.3, 9.0.1.4 or 9.2.0.4 as we have had problems with other versions.
>
> 1c. Minimum Recommendation
> Disk storage
> - 1 x 5 GB disk for Oracle software (e.g. /u01/app/oracle/admin/MSDSD)
> - 2 x 5 GB disks for log files and control files
> (e.g. /u02/oradata/MSDSD , /u03/oradata/MSDSD)
> - 150 GB, as many disks as possible for Oracle *.dbf files
> (e.g. /u04/oradata/MSDSD)
> Available memory 1GB (i.e. your hardware should have at lease 2GB)
> 2 CPUs
>
> --END-NOTES
>

> README---
>
> 2. This release contains all the files required to import MSDSD into an
> existing database
> You need to:
> a. Create required tablespaces
> b. Set Oracle environment variables
> c. Create WHOUSE1 schema and assign privileges
> d. Create and populate the majority of the database tables
> e. Create and populate the ATOM and ATOM_DATA tables
> f. Create constraints and build indexes
>
> 2a. Create required tablespaces
>
> 2a. Create required tablespaces
> A total of 104 GB space will be needed for the WHOUSE1 tablespaces. Create
> the tablespaces below. Spread out the datafiles for each tablespace on as
> many disks
> as you can to distribute I/O load. It may take half a day plus to create
> all the tablespaces so this can be done whilst files are being downloaded.
> Tablespace Name Size (GB)
> WHOUSE1_ATOM 10.94
> WHOUSE1_ATOM_DATA 37.60
> WHOUSE1_ATOM_DATA_I 14.45
> [...]

Drink (lots!) of coffee/tea/mineral water/beer/<sid>? Substitute the beverage of your liking for <sid>.

Looks quite OK to me; problem is this does not look like a 'getting started with Oracle' database. It does place your "I want to get started in a day" in another perspective. Actually - it looks like a V7.0 database, with separate index and table tablespaces, that are put on the same mount point. So - where's your I/O spread there?

Bet there are initial segment allocations in the exports, that would hold all data in 1 segment.

Which would make it all sub-optimal for a 9.2 environment, but workable.

And... locate in what document steps 3 (e) and 4 (b) are documented, they take long, as does 2 (d)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel