Connecting to a remote listener, dedicated server - possible?

From: Shaul Dar <shauld_at_savantis.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2004 04:29:59 -0800

I am interested in running a remote listener on one machine and redirecting connections to an instance on another machine, in vanila Oracle (not RAC) 8i and 9i. I want connections to be handled via a dedicated (not shared) server processes.

From what I have seen (e.g. metalink Note:162680.1) in 9i this seems to be done using the REMOTE_LISTENER parameter and in 8i thru MTS_DISPATCHERS parameter's LISTENER attribute. However both of these seem to work only with a shared (MTS) server. In the 9i case even although I didn't specify Shared Server, specifying REMOTE_LISTENER seems to have caused the connections to use a dispatcher, i.e. work in shared server mode.

Can I do this in dedicated server mode? How?

Please send answers also by email (shauld_at_savantis.com). Thanks,