Re: how to link Apache and Oracle?

From: <nowayjose_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:42:51 GMT

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:15:20 GMT, Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net> wrote:

>Hans Forbrich wrote:
>> nowayjose_at_telus.net wrote:
>>
>>> On 18 Feb 2004 01:29:39 -0800, vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne)

>>> Bill, you are talking about the Oracle iAS, not generic Apache. I
>>> don't have the iAS, and I am not buying it for this little project.
>>> What I have is a Linux box with generic Apache. No Pl/SQL cartridge.
>>> Only what is available in the public domain.
>>>

>> NoWay - you have talked around in circles several times here. You
>> started by saying you wanted a way to **learn** to write simple web apps.
>>
>> We told you that Apache comes with the database and it includes
>> predefined connection by way of the PLSQL cartridge. (We didn't mention
>> that it also comes with PERL.)
>>
>> Then we also told you the same connection is available iwith the
>> Oracle9iAS.
>>
>> Now it seems you move from 'learn' to 'purchase'. For prototyping &
>> learning you can download either/both the database and app server free.
>>
>> You also ask what is "the easiest thing to learn: PHP, or Perl, or
>> JSP... or something", then you argue that you don't know Java (which is
>> a requirement for JSP).
>>
>> If we tell you that HTMLDB (http://marvel.oracle.com), which is a
>> database based tool to do pretty well the same thing as Access but
>> entirely via the web, I suspect your response would be 'I want to do it
>> in raw Apache'.
>>
>> With every suggestion you argue - it seems like you are spinning around
>> like the stereotypical 'California blonde'. How 'bout letting us in on
>> your secret - what are you really trying to accomplish? (Beside keeping
>> us guessing.)
>>
>> /Hans
>
>Just got your explanation posted to the other thread-tail. Apology for
>expressing my frustration in the above manner.
>
>I suggest PERL for your restrictions. Most universal.
>
>/Hans

No worries, Hans, I am not easily offended. You are right, I wasn't telling all. Here is the whole deal. I know Oracle database, I have been a DBA for over 8 years and I am four times Oracle certified. I have a client that is asking me to build an application and it's infrastructure. The infrastructure is easy, DB in the backend, all the application logic in PL/SQL stored procedures, Apache on the web tier, firewall between them. I am also Red Hat Certified Engineer, so all the sysadmin and firewall tasks are second nature to me. My only problem is that I need to link the web tier to the database. I know enough Perl to write DBA and Unix admin scripts but my CGI skills are 10 years out of date. I am not afraid to learn Perl methods for connecting to Oracle db, but I was wondering if PHP was easier to use and learn. The application must be secure, so I need to use SSL and somehow preserve session info. Cockies?

The application that I need to write is a very simple OLTP system, all I need is to authenticate the users, let them enter the information in several forms and log them out.

Hope this time I am clear enough :)

K. Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 14:42:51 CST