Re: how to link Apache and Oracle?

From: <nowayjose_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:09:15 GMT

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:22:54 GMT, Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net> wrote:

>nowayjose_at_telus.net wrote:
>>
>> Good advice, thank you! However, my Oracle database is on a separate
>> machine than Apache and it is that particular Apache that I need to
>> link to Oracle... The Apache that I will use is straight from Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux 3, v 2.0 I think...
>>
>> Besides, I don't know Java...
>>
>> K.
>
>You miss the points. Some things to consider:
>
>1) Apache is included and installed on the database machine. Assuming
>you have access to the machine, look at $ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache to
>get started.

Hans, I have to remind you that I can't use the Oracle Apache. It lives on a separate box which is separated by a firewall from the application server. The application server is a Linux box with generic Apache. I can install any public domain software on the application server but I can't access anything on the DB server except Oracle port 1521.

>2) Java is irrelevant. Apache is included and installed on your
>machine.

Not on my machine. On the DB server which I can't access. And in fact Apache is not installed there either, we only have the DB server and Net8 installed. Oracle Apache is an installation option that we didn't choose. So the ONLY instance of Apache that we have lives on a separate box and has nothing to do with the Oracle Apache.

>3) You mention JSP. Means Java Server Pages. So you mean some form of
>Java.

Actually, Java Server Pages has nothing to do with the real java, JSP was not developed by Sun, and the only reason word "Java" is used in the JSP name is marketing. You don't need to know Java to code in JSP.

>4) Learn something about web servers. Having Other web servers around
>is also irrelevant as you can punt from one to the next. Consider
>getting O'Reilly's basic Apache book.

Thank you.

>5) PLSQL is a great way to connect to DB (using mod_plsql). Saves a lot
>of hassle.

Is mod_plsql public domain?

>6) mod_PERL is included.

my question was "what is the easiest way". I know I can use Perl, or PHP, or OCI, or Pro-C, or hundred other methods. I am asking what is the easiest way to do it from Apache installed on a separate from the database box. Mod_plsql sounds good, but only if it is publicly available.