Re: Query to provide range of repeat values

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:33:01 -0800

VC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I doubt that a stored procedure will be faster than a single SQL performing
> only one table scan.
>
> VC

I'm quite sure you are correct. Rarely if ever are procedures faster than single DML statements. But my concern, mirrored by the OP, is one of maintainability. Add in the rest of what is required and only someone very senior could possibly maintain it.

What you wrote is impressive. In fact I've already pointed my students to it as an example of what can be done by someone that learns how to use the tools. But I'll bet I couldn't find 100 Oracle developers in the entire state of Washington that could have written it.

If you can lecture even half as well as you write I would be happy to have you appear as a guest lecturer sometime.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu