Re: How to create/drop a database from Java (via JDBC)?

From: Steffen Siebert <news_at_SteffenSiebert.de>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 11:43:08 +0100

    JK> do you install the RDBMS binaries, etc.  I suspect that you do
    JK> not, you assume that the MS SqlServer instance is already up
    JK> and running.  That (in MS SQL Server parlance) you connect to
    JK> it and create a database.

Yes. Someone else installs the the rdbms binaries and my program can create or drop the whole database (all tables etc.)

    JK> To do the same thing in Oracle you would create a schema and
    JK> put your stuff in there.  In SQL Server domain you have an
    JK> instance that consists of databases.  In Oracle a similar
    JK> thing would be an Oracle instance and multiple
    JK> schemas. (create a user and define what their default and temp
    JK> tablespace is)

    JK> Creating a database in Oracle is akin to installing the whole
    JK> MS SQL Server instance. Not the same thing. You really want     JK> a script to create your schema and populate your tables etc.

Is it possible with one oracle database to create to schemas under different names where the table names are identical?

And if it's really sufficient to create a schema only, how do I do this? And how to drop a schema completely?

And finally, what is created by the oracle sql statement "create database", a database or a schema?

Ciao,
  Steffen Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 04:43:08 CST