Re: how to link Apache and Oracle?

From: gmuldoon <gmuldoon_nospam_at_scu.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:00:45 GMT

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za says...

> > > If those applications reside in Oracle, what is compromised? Only the
> > > web server.
> >
> > And the machine itself that it runs on.

> Again, so what? If the web server is compromised, how does this impact
> the security and integrity of my data and applications in Oracle?

Not much good having secure data and apps if the bloody thing can't run because its RAM and swap have been maxed out by a HTTP exploit.

And if the exploit give you root privs and blows away your data files from the filesys you might be in a bit of poo, too.

Under a split server model, the data is more secure, and if my apps get trashed, we have mechanisms to detect and handle that.

I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, just that there are horses for courses. I actually strogly agree with embedding much of the app logic as close to the DB heart as possible and am a strong user of PL/SQL stored procs.

My argument is just against the one-machine model. My DBA quite rightly won't let a machine with a Oracle instance with critical sensitive data directly have a publicly accessible HTTP port. No one-machine models.

Geoff M Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 02:00:45 CST