Re: how to link Apache and Oracle?

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:34:52 GMT

gmuldoon wrote:

> And the machine itself that it runs on.
>
> If you run a single box with both Apache (either standalone or Oracle-
> supplied) and Oracle and are attacked using an Apache-based exploit, it
> can be used to bring the whole box to a grinding halt.
>
> We have a farm of Apache app servers and, more critically, a number of
> internal fat client apps all talking to a "single" (actually a load-
> balanced setup) data server.
>
> If one Apache server machine goes belly-up, I want the database there
> for the others.
>
> Geoff M

You are talking the same language as Oracle Application Server. For the same reason.

I still don't understand why people insist on reinventing the 'web server to Oracle' connection mechanism that exists in exactly the same way in the Oracle database install, the Oracle Application Server install and the Oracle JDeveloper install. (With the benefit that, since one is paying for support, upper management has someone other than the DBA/SA at whom to point a finger.)

... or at least learning from what exists.

/Hans Received on Thu Feb 19 2004 - 17:34:52 CST