Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:19:15 -0000

damorgan_at_x.washington.edu says...

> Apparently it has been a long time since you've checked the price of
> Oracle. One can now purchase a license for a lot less than $1000 USD.

I recently did a database membership project for a not-for-profit organisation - there would be no question of spending 2 - 3000 dollars just for the db licences. I used what's in my sig Interbase 6.0.1.6 - cost $0.

I'm currently trying to learn Oracle (essentially trying to reskill myself), and don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it - it's just that the quote from Ed Prochak "But I also learned enough that ORACLE is not best for ALL needs, especially given the costs." was very very true in this case.

It wasn't like the organisation needed the power and sophistication of Oracle.

Paul...

--
plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com