Re: how to link Apache and Oracle?

From: gmuldoon <gmuldoon_nospam_at_scu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:13:21 GMT

nowayjose_at_telus.net says...

> >> I would like to learn how to write simple web applications. I plan to
> >> use Linux and Apache, for database I will naturally use Oracle . But I
> >> don't know what is the easiest way to link Apache and Oracle. What's
> >> the easiest thing to learn: PHP, or Perl, or JSP... or something
> >> completely different? Someone mentioned Cold Fusion, I don't have it,
> >> but if it is easy I guess I can get it and learn... What is your
> >> opinion?

<snip>

> Good advice, thank you! However, my Oracle database is on a separate
> machine than Apache and it is that particular Apache that I need to
> link to Oracle... The Apache that I will use is straight from Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 3, v 2.0 I think...
>
> Besides, I don't know Java...

If you decide you want to segregate your web applications from your database (there are arguments for and against that approach, the biggest one for being security - firewall the database machine from the 'net) and want a simpler path than Java, then I'd suggest PHP rather than Perl or any of the proprietary non-Oracle (ColdFusion, etc.) options.

PHP is much simpler to learn than Java, and a bit easier than Perl.

We run a cluster of Unix/Linux web servers, mostly with Apache/PHP (a couple of Linux/Tomcat for JSP/Applet work) against a single grunt data server secured behind a couple of firewalls.

GM Received on Wed Feb 18 2004 - 16:13:21 CST