Re: Return ROWID in Java

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:16:19 -0800

ReplyToGroups wrote:
> use sequence_name.nextval
>
> If u want the primarkey value to be returned to the client

Quite frankly that is a terrible idea. In a relational database one does not jump on a surrogate key just for convenience. And one certainly does not change a design to suit a front-end tool.

There is not a single bit of difficulty in returning the existing primary key. I can't imagine why anyone would give or take this advice.

And my apology if the above seems harsh. It is not intended as such.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu