Re: guideline for creating temporary (working) table

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2004 15:18:01 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1076618220.265675_at_yasure>...
> Dr Drudge wrote:
>
> > Backup / Recovery is the #1 skill a DBA needs to master (IMHO).
> > Everyhing else can be added later.
> >
> > Well, tablespace management is important too (maybe not anymore)...
> > And some tuning skills...
> > And scripting...
>
> Used to be. Now it is the #1 skill of a SysAdmin. A DBA that considers
> this the primary responsibilty will likely be doing something else in
> five or ten years.

Whoa, I haven't met too many SysAdmins who really understand Oracle backup/recovery. Are they all becoming certified DBO's or something? I admit that for the last couple of years I've been doing my own admin on machines that don't have a dedicated admin, so I could have missed a trend, but I'm floored by your statement.

Scripting, well, they (good ones, anyways) tend to be better than most DBA's. Tuning and TS mgmt are left as an exercise for the googler.

Just about _anyone_ in our business will likely be doing something else in ten years. Of course, I'm doing kind of the same thing I was doing ten years ago, but took a roundabout route in the meantime.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Those darn capitalists!