Re: select current value of procedure arguments?

From: Gary Menchen <gary.e.menchen_at_dartmouth.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:41:06 -0500

prl wrote:
> I know I can find the names of all my procedure's arguments (and other
> info about them) in sys.argument$. But, there is no field named
> "CURRENT_VALUE" in that table. :-(
>
> Basically, I have to use plain old varchar2 arguments because a WWW Form
> is passing in the values. I'd like to LOOP through the args and call a
> function each time with the arg name and it's current value.
>
> Any ideas?
> prl

The main reason I've seen for this is when there are a very large number of parameters being passed via a form (i.e. htp.formopen, ...). On occasion I have passed them as arrays, with two arrays, one with the "name" of the value, set by a formhidden, and another with the actual value. The result is a procedure that receives two parameters, both of which are index-by tables or something similar. You can then look by by   name in the "name" array, get the index , the the same index can be used to retrieve the value from the other array. If you want to elaborate teh process, you can have functions that return the various data types.

Overhead is a supporting package, one hidden form variable for every explicit variable being passed, and a scan of one of the arrays every time you want to retrieve a value. In the context of processing a web page that's not particularly significant.

it would be interesting to learn if anyone has tried grabbing the parameter list and using dynamic sql to load a record variable with the values... Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 07:41:06 CST