Re: Access violation in JREW.EXE while installing Oracle 8i

From: Derrick W <dw_at_junkmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:13:41 GMT

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Derrick W wrote:
>

>>I am attempting to install the Oracle 8i client on a freshly imaged PC &
>>I receive the error mentioned in the subject line.
>>
>>I have followed the instructions for this error message as per the
>>article in the Oracle knowledge base without success.
>>
>>If anyone can assist me to resolve this issue, it would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Thank you.

> Sadly you do not mention any specifics. Therefore I will assume you are
> installing on Linux RedHat 7.3 ... (Actually, I suspect you are
> installing on some flavor of Windows, since only Windows usrs do not
> specificy the operating system and version.)
>
> I've found that a variety of similar problems occur when any other Java
> exists on the machine. I also note that 'freshly imaged' might be a
> corporate or vendor image that has neat toys or required apps on it.
> You might want to check whether anything else on the 'freshly imaged
> machine' has set up the CLASSPATH environment variable.
>
> While it should not be an issue, there was a 'Pentium bug' that caused a
> conflict between Java and Pentium machines with early versions of
> Oracle8/8i. Can we assume you are using a more modern version, like
> Oracle8i version 8.1.7?
>
> Also, check http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start for a step by step that
> might help as well.
>
> /Hans

You are correct. It is a standard image for a government workstation. The predominant utilities that are on the image are Novell & Lotus. The OS is Windows 2000.

I appreciate the advise you have given me. I will certainly try them. The full system specs are in my reply to Daniel Morgan.

Thank you for your time & consideration in this matter. I will post the results of my efforts after work tonight ;) Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 07:13:41 CST