Re: Authentication differences between Oracle 8i and 9i

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2004 04:20:14 -0800

ssarkar_at_orion-gis.com (Satinath Sarkar) wrote in message news:<a722f987.0402160913.478006dc_at_posting.google.com>...
> Thanks Michel. This value is already false.
>
> I have no problem with connecting to either databases using the syntax
> connect /@gisora817 or connect /@gisora920. Both of these works.
>
> The difference that I have is connect dummy/""@gisora817 logs in the
> user as OPS$FRED in Oracle 8i. while connect dummy/""@gisora920 does
> not connect in Oracle 9i.

Can't see any problem. The user dummy is password authenticated, so you *must* provide a password, and obviously you don't. If you came in without password in the past, that must have been on the server itself. On the server itself,if your os user is in the ORA_DBA group,you can provide *anything* and you will get in. This is equivalent to 'connect internal'. However connect internal doesn't exist anymore in 9i, and you must use an username/password combo with SYSDBA privilege.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 06:20:14 CST