Re: Access violation in JREW.EXE while installing Oracle 8i

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:25:16 GMT

Derrick W wrote:

> I am attempting to install the Oracle 8i client on a freshly imaged PC &
> I receive the error mentioned in the subject line.
>
> I have followed the instructions for this error message as per the
> article in the Oracle knowledge base without success.
>
> If anyone can assist me to resolve this issue, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Sadly you do not mention any specifics. Therefore I will assume you are installing on Linux RedHat 7.3 ... (Actually, I suspect you are installing on some flavor of Windows, since only Windows usrs do not specificy the operating system and version.)

I've found that a variety of similar problems occur when any other Java exists on the machine. I also note that 'freshly imaged' might be a corporate or vendor image that has neat toys or required apps on it. You might want to check whether anything else on the 'freshly imaged machine' has set up the CLASSPATH environment variable.

While it should not be an issue, there was a 'Pentium bug' that caused a conflict between Java and Pentium machines with early versions of Oracle8/8i. Can we assume you are using a more modern version, like Oracle8i version 8.1.7?

Also, check http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start for a step by step that might help as well.

/Hans Received on Mon Feb 16 2004 - 19:25:16 CST