OCIBind and whitespace trimming

From: Sean <sean.maurik_at_eassist.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2004 08:44:57 -0800

Hi everyone. I've got a customer that is using some older code we wrote to update some tables (code based on OCI from 8.1.7). One particular table has a VARCHAR2 field and he wants to put the following text into it: 'this is my test '. Note the space at the end. Our little helper function uses OCIBindByPos when building the Update clause and this, it turns out, causes the trailing spaces to get stripped:

"http://sales.esicom.com/sales/oracle/appdev.816/a76975/oci03typ.htm

VARCHAR2:
The value_sz parameter determines the length in the OCIBindByName() or OCIBindByPos() call. If the value_sz parameter is greater than zero, Oracle obtains the bind variable value by reading exactly that many bytes, starting at the buffer address in your program. Trailing blanks are stripped, and the resulting value is used in the SQL statement or PL/SQL block. "

The customer doesn't want to have to build the update statement with actual data in it (and he shouldn't have to) but I've been unable to find a workaround besides that. I'm about as far from being an Oracle whiz as you can get and yet still use OCI so I'm really hoping someone out here might have a suggestion.

Thanks
Sean Received on Mon Feb 16 2004 - 10:44:57 CST