Re: it takes a long time to create a database

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:27:53 +0100

Vu Pham wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Vu Pham wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks.
>>>Yes, this is the second one. The first one is the one I created when
>>>installing Oracle in the first place.. I am new to Oracle and just try

>>>see how it works.
>>>
>>>Btw, then if I have two different projects, is it not better to have a

> 2nd
>
>>>database ?
>>>Again, sorry if I ask some funny question.
>>>
>>>Vu
>>
>>There is almost no reason in Oracle to ever build a second database.
>>What you are doing is doubling the overhead with hardly a single bit
>>of value in return: Two SYSTEM tablespaces, to UNDO tablespaces, two
>>TEMP tablespaces, two SGAs.
>>
>>Creates new tablespaces and users. Before creating a second database
>>you need a compelling reason based on an actual failure of a single
>>database to meet your requirement (extremely rare). Keep in mind, as
>>Sybrand would say, that Oracle is not SQL Server and you can't treat
>>it as though it is.
>>

> Thanks, Daniel. Now I see why the 2nd database takes so long to finish. I
> ran top to watch the system resource and did see a lot resources have being
> used by the first instance.
>
> Vu

I disagree with Sybrand and Daniel on this one. Although the occasions are rare, project demands may be such, that initial parameters must be different. Apart from that - one project may suffer from a bug, that causes a need to patch - where the other project has a demand to stay on this patch level. (because another bug was introduced, jeopardizing project2). You can only archive that by having two instances, two databases, and even two (oracle) software owners.

As we all know - it depends...

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel