Re: it takes a long time to create a database

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:29:29 -0800

Vu Pham wrote:

> Thanks.
> Yes, this is the second one. The first one is the one I created when
> installing Oracle in the first place.. I am new to Oracle and just try to
> see how it works.
>
> Btw, then if I have two different projects, is it not better to have a 2nd
> database ?
> Again, sorry if I ask some funny question.
>
> Vu

There is almost no reason in Oracle to ever build a second database. What you are doing is doubling the overhead with hardly a single bit of value in return: Two SYSTEM tablespaces, to UNDO tablespaces, two TEMP tablespaces, two SGAs.

Creates new tablespaces and users. Before creating a second database you need a compelling reason based on an actual failure of a single database to meet your requirement (extremely rare). Keep in mind, as Sybrand would say, that Oracle is not SQL Server and you can't treat it as though it is.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu