Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:59:33 -0800

sPh wrote:

> I was thrown into an Oracle situation with less experience than you
> have now, and given a mandate to "make it work". Which I did, so I
> guess it IS possible ;-)

Please don't get me wrong ... and I admire the fact that you did what you did.

But I am appalled by what I see most of the time. I am currently consulting for a recruiting firm that provides Oracle talent for other local companies. Seems the database they use to manage their talent pool had a 'little' problem. Their two internal developers have years of experience: Mostly learned with a different SQL RDBMS.

Does what the wrote work? You betcha! It compiles and it runs. So why is this firm paying my hourly rate to get me in there? Think it over.

Like I said ... I admire you for putting in the effort and meeting the goal. But far too often what "works" does so in the most marginal of ways.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu