Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Erwin Moller <since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much_at_spamyourself.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:55:55 +0100

Phil Britton wrote:

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your time.

> Erwin Moller
> <since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much_at_spamyourself.com> writes:
>
> <snip>

>> So my question is: Why can I not use Oracle as a database when teaching
>> basic SQL?

> You could use Oracle for teaching BASCI sql. However sql is slightly
> different on all RDBMSs (outer joins for exampe) and you need to be
> aware of the subtle differences.

Thanks for the warning.
I'll prepare for that.

> Get the DBA to set up a schema or two for you to use where you, or
> your pupils can't do any damage to the system. I you tell him/her what
> you intend to do and they ought to be able to set up something suitable.

I will surely ask them to that.

>> I know I could use any other databse I know already for that purpose.
>> What kind of problems can I expect when I use Oracle for that?

> The main danger is what your pupils might do to the system after
> you've finished with them if the now think that they are experts. "A
> little knowledge....."

Hehe, that is true.
Some of them already have administratorright on some machines to do their job, but have little knowlegde.

I guess I'll have to cover the GRANT statement too. :P

Thanks for your time Phil!

Regards,
Erwin Moller