Re: Alter rollback segments

From: Sameer Deshpande <sameer_deshpande_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:28:22 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1076605648.353638_at_yasure...

> >>Every bit of 'good' advice from Tom Kyte and other experts indicates
> >>that this is a bad idea. Just resize your rollback segments
appropriately.

> >>And if you have 9i ... you shouldn't be using rollback segments at all
> >

> > The enviroment is Oracle 8.1.7 and OPS each node (2) has 20
> > rollbacksegs that the main ERP-system and other smaller apps uses.
> > What I'm doing is running special scripts and now procedures that is
> > more heavy on rollbacksegs than usual. My idea is instead of
> > increasing the size 40 rollbacksegs (we don't have that much diskspace
> > anyway) I make 2 big rollbacksegs that is default offline and I use
> > them only for this purpuse. I'm not an Oracle expert so I'm thankful
> > for every bit of advice I get, but it seems to me that your suggestion
> > wouldn't work in my case.
> >
> > /Patrik
>

> What you are suggesting is exactly what Tom Kyte and the other experts
> say you should not do. There are copious amounts of material available
> on why it is a bad strategy so read Tom's books, search google, etc.

Instead of having big rollback segments and keeping them offline, I will also suggets to calculate your transacion size to creat rollback segment. And if you want, you can assign them in your script using EXEC IMME.. Its not good practice to 'alter the rollback segs' using EXEC IMME. Refer to TK's books.. extremly useful material ...

Regards,
Sameer Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 03:28:22 CST