Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Erwin Moller <since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much_at_spamyourself.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:28:52 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> I understand that you think you have a lot of background and that you
> can, therefore, just open a book or a web site, find a few syntax
> differences and be competent: Nothing could be further from the truth.
>
> The reason we are reacting to you the way we are is that you are like
> a guy that jumps out of a plane without a parachute and after falling
> 25,000 feet says ... "so far so good."
>
> I teach approximately 60 students per year at the graduate level. All
> have at least a CS degree and most at least 10 years in the industry
> working with Sybase, SQL Server, Informix, or DB2. Some have years of
> experience with Oracle too. Each and every one of them would find what
> you propose to do as ludicrous as we do. We are being harsh here to
> hopefully disuade you from an act as foolhardy as jumping out of an
> airplane without a parachute. Ignorance of what you don't know makes
> the task seem far simpler than it is.
>
> The best advice is not always the advice you want to hear. And the fact
> that you couldn't answer the question, above, that my first year
> students can answer after their first 3 hour class indicates how far
> behind you are.

Hi Daniel,

I am not trying to start a fight here, really. I also ended my original posting with an appology that I ask such a lazy question. (I you want, I explained that in my reaction on Dr. Drudge above here.)

But you are suggestion I cannot use Oracle to teach newbies the basic use of SLQ.
As I wrote in my original post: we are discussing only SELECTS, JOINS, some explanation about PK's and FK's, and a little tablecreation. It is ONLY ment to give them a start with SQL itself. Not Oracle.

I KNOW I can use PostgreSQL for that purpose. Why? Because I won't touch any tricky subjects. Just basic SQL usage. Actually I didn't care too much which database was lying under it, as long as it understands basic SQL.

Why is everybody over here thinking I think I can become an expert in a few days? I never mentioned that!
Do you really think I walk in here, and ask amongst experts: "Hey, I am a smart guy, can I learn Oracle completely into details in a few day?"

And about the parachute and the plane analogy: I am standing on the ground with a few newbies, teaching them how which cords to pull. We are talking about lesson 1...

Sorry, now I sound cracky.

Thanks for your response! (Seriously)

Regards and respect,
Erwin Moller Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 03:28:52 CST