Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Steven Healey <sphealey_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:05:41 GMT

You know guys, I learn a lot from this newsgroup. And I appreciate the work the knowledgable people such as Mr. Morgan and Mr. Bakker put in to answer questions.

But really - you just might want to reconsider the snarky tone of the responses in this thread. The original poster presented a very reasonable question, gave background and details, made apt comparsions to several alternatives, and even apologized in advance for being a newcomer. In other words, everything you normally rip on first time posters for not doing.

And in response you have ripped him up and down for not having read all of OTN from beginning to end, not knowing every feature by heart, and other assorted sins.

This is the kind of thing that gives the Oracle community a bad name. Bill Gates may not do the best by his customers in the long run (IMHO), but he seldom if ever insults them right to their faces at first meeting. Perhaps one reason why Microsoft market share continues to rise?

Why don't you try answering the OP's question with some reasonable suggestions and references. Here is his question:

      So I offered them to teach them some basics.
      Just a short hands-on course with some
      datatypes, tabledesign, prim. keys, foreign
      keys, etc. Nothing fancy.
      [...]
      How well equiped I am to teach some basics
      on SQL when I use Oracle?

That sounds to me like the first chapter of Chappell's classic "Visual Introduction to SQL" taught in SQL*Plus or the freeware version of Toad.

   That's all. Not multi-versioned read-consistent dynamic SQL that takes into account possible propagation delays if the application were to be deployed on the Spirit Rover. Perhaps you could direct the poster to one of Tom Kyte's books or web sites for some more complex topics (BTW, I have NEVER seen Tom reply in an arrogant or unhelpful fashion to a newcomer - quite the opposite).

Or if you really think he should not attempt this project, then say why in a polite and helpful manner. But not this kind of undeserved roasting.

Sheesh.

sPh Received on Thu Feb 12 2004 - 19:05:41 CST