Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Dr Drudge <drdrudge_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Feb 2004 08:43:45 -0800

Erwin Moller <since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much_at_spamyourself.com> wrote in message news:<402b3e49$0$570$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>...
> > Just visit http://otn.oracle.com and don't expect we'll forgive you
> > for not even being willing to visit the Oracle site instead of asking
> > unnecessary questions.
> > And, oh yes: with this attitude you'll get nowhere in Oracle.
>
> Thanks a lot Sybrand.
> You are a real help.
>
> If a newbie asks me a question I take a few minutes to answer politely and
> try to motivate that newbie.
> You, however, are clearly so far evolved above the rest of us that you can
> afford to behave like the arrogant guy you are.
> Who are you trying to impress? The others in this NG?
>
> If you think I ask silly questions, just don't bother to answer.
>

> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Erwin,
In defense of Mr Bakker, you really didn't ask questions that deserved anything but pointing you to available documentation. This forum is a very good resource if you have a specific technical question.

You present yourself as a software professional- you should know better than to ask a question that amounts to: "Am I smart enough to learn Oracle".

Now, everyone that frequents CDO knows that Sybrand can be short/cranky/whatever.
Those of us that do Oracle for a living take pride in our knowledge and accomplishments- your post (most unintentionally) belittles all the hard work it takes to be an Oracle proffesional. My guess is that is what irritates some people in this ng. Maybe you didn't deserve such a response (maybe you did), but when you post to a public forum you have to be willing to accept/reject all the replies.

And you are right- there are friendlier NGs.

My answer to the OP would be this:
Oracle is not Postgress. Oracle is not MSSQL. (notice I didn't say better).
You are not equipped to "teach" anything useful about Oracle- I know this just by reading the questions.
If this is a production system you will be getting in over your head unless you really do your homework up front.

See the OTN for downloads.

Good luck. Received on Thu Feb 12 2004 - 10:43:45 CST