Re: SQLPLUS and O/S authentication

From: Satinath Sarkar <ssarkar_at_orion-gis.com>
Date: 12 Feb 2004 06:46:30 -0800

Thank you Joe. This is my fallback plan. But this will mean I need to endlessly argue with my systems/network team.

Anyway, here is something strange happening and if anyone can resolve/explain this I will be elated and hopefully you will feel the vibrations of my joy too...

I have two instances of Oracle on server GISORA. Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 9.2.0. All remote o/s authentication parameters are same. Each instance has two test users "OPS$FRED" and "DUMMY". OPS$FRED is authenticated externally. DUMMY has password authentication with password DUMMY.

I am logged into windows as FRED. See the following SQLPLUS session....

c:\Documents and Settings\FRED>set
USERDOMAIN=GISORA
USERNAME=FRED

C:\Documents and Settings\FRED>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Feb 12 09:21:09 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect dummy/""@gisora817
Connected.
SQL> show user
USER is "OPS$FRED"
SQL>
SQL> connect dummy/""@gisora920
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE. SQL> I do not understand why the exact same syntax on Oracle 8 logs me in as OPS$FRED and gives invalid user in Oracle 9. Any explanation on the mystery will be great and a workaround other than connect / will be icing on the cake....

Thank you