Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Erwin Moller <since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much_at_spamyourself.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:59:17 +0100

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

> From my point of view Oracle is the best RDBMS on the market - and, if
> you want to use it in an adequate manner, the most difficult to learn.
>
> Please have have a look on their web site at:
> 1. The concepts manual under (access requires free registration)

http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db10g/db10g.to_pdf?pathname=server.101%2Fb10743.pdf&remark=portal+%28Getting+Started%29

Thanks, reading that now. :-)
Looks like a great document.

> 2. Their education program under http://education.oracle.com
> The education path for a data warehouse developer takes near by 5 weeks
> of full time courses. At this point you don't know much of PL/SQL and
> other very important features of Oracle and you don't have any
> experience with it.

Yes, I did some datascubbing and cubedevelopment before (on M$Server) for HP.
It is not for starters, and easy to make mistakes, I noticed that. :-)

But I am NOT talking about datawarehousedevelopment here.

Let me clarify the situation please:
The people I will teach are mainly producing managementinformation, and are using all kind of highlevel reportingtools delivered by third-parties. They are not technically strong, but more.. bookkeepingcontrollers. (Forgive my English)
So they dive into certain numbers produced by the datawarehouse and need to check them. Check if they are valid and make some sense. The way they do this is by checking all the underlying information and do the math themselfs again.
They already found many bad numbers. :-)

So now they want to expand their knowledge to SQL so they can more quickly query the lowlevel underlying databases which are used by the datawarehouse.

It is only a start for them, and they are smart people, so they need to learn only the BASICS of SQL and they will decide after that if it is usefull enough for them to learn more.

I will only help them with their first steps, and will not touch subjects as transactions, locking, PL/SQL, etc.

> The effort to learn Oracle requires a decision. Ask yourself: Do you
> want to user Oracle primarily for your future projects? If you answer
> with 'Yes' it is worth the effort. If 'No' is your answer, let it be and
> hire people with good Oracle knowledge.

No, I stick to PostgreSQL for now. Took me some time to get confortable with that, but I love PostgreSQL now.

Thanks for your advise and time!

Respect and regards,
Erwin Moller Received on Thu Feb 12 2004 - 04:59:17 CST