Optimize Select on update column

From: egkua <Eye-Gee.Kua_at_shell.com>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 20:16:48 -0800

I am selecting based on an update column (low cardinality column) and a non unique key column. Since the second select criteria is based on non unique key column, I reckon that the select would be slow when it has gig of records on the key column. I can't create a bitmap index as the 1st criteria since it is an update column.

Anyone, any idea on how to make it faster when records grow to gig?

I have the following processes:

CURSOR c1 IS SELECT rowid, col1
FROM Table1
WHERE status = 'N'
AND non_unique_key_code = <key>;

LOOP
  processing...

  UPDATE Table1
  SET status = 'Y'
  WHERE rowid = c.rowid;

END LOOP; Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 22:16:48 CST