Re: select '§' from dual; produces ORA-01756 error

From: Chris O <itoys1>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:46:26 +1000

"David McMeans" <googlenews_at_fhg.mailshell.com> wrote in message news:d3865bef.0402111333.cf13911_at_posting.google.com...
> I've got two 9i databases. One was upgraded from 8.1.7 and the other
> created from scratch.
>
> In looking at the database parameters, the only significant difference
> is the compatible setting, which for the upgraded one is still at
> 8.1.7, while the other is at 9.2.0.0.0.
>
> In the "from scratch" database, if I enter
>
> select '§' from dual;
>
> in SQLPlus, I get
>
> select '§' from dual
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated
>
> The same sql works fine in the upgraded database. Any idea what's
> going on here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Hi David. What character sets are in use? You should note that under most western european character sets the section sign ( '§' ) is code point 0xA7 whereas the apostrophe (') character is 0x27. That is the difference is the leading (most significant bit). If Oracle is stripping this bit then the section sign will be seen as an apostrophe character and thus the parser will see: SELECT ''' FROM DUAL.

Check your character sets.

Cheers Chris Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 15:46:26 CST