Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:14:21 -0800

Erwin Moller wrote:

> Hi group!
>
> This is my situation: I offered a few friends who work in some office
> (financial department) to help them out.
> They have to start using a datawarehouse now, but seriously lack basic SQL
> knowledge, which is a problem because they actually have to check the
> reliability of that data (Planning & Control devision).
>
> So I offered them to teach them some basics. Just a short hands-on course
> with some datatypes, tabledesign, prim. keys, foreign keys, etc.
> Nothing fancy.
>
> They were all very happy, but then the following problem arose: They want me
> to do it on an Oracle database because all their software runs on that.
>
> The problem is I never worked with Oracle before besides 5 minutes on SQL*
> years ago.
> But I am experienced with databasedesign/usage but not on Oracle.

I think your chances of doing a good job vanishingly small. Your chances of fooling your friends fair-to-middling.

If you can't answer the following question I'd suggest you not even try:

Q1: What architecture in Oracle, not present in any other major commercial database product, makes it possible for reads to not block writes and write to not block reads?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu