Re: Oracle Select/Insert Locking

From: Bricklen <bricklen-rem_at_yahoo.comz>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:38:04 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> M2 wrote:
>
> I think part of what is causing the problem in understanding why
> you even have a problem is the following:
>
> "The problem is the race condition that is possible when parallel hits
> occur for the same user and the same message."
>
> Could you please translate into English what you mean by a "RACE"
> condition? This is the first time I have ever seen this term and
> I think it is hiding your actual meaning.
>
> If the same user can read the same message multiple times then you have
> a very bad design: It should be impossible. Look at SELECT FOR UPDATE.
> Also seriously look at the DBMS_AQ and DBMS_AQADM packages.
>
> Thanks.

"A race condition is an undesirable situation that occurs when a device or system attempts to perform two or more operations at the same time, but because of the nature of the device or system, the operations must be done in the proper sequence in order to be done correctly."

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci871100,00.html Received on Tue Feb 10 2004 - 16:38:04 CST