Local Oracle installation

From: Luis <andyza_at_webmail.co.za>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:32:45 +0200

I'm trying to install Oracle 8.1.6.0.0 on my home computer so that I can learn a bit about the database (I've specifically selected version 8.1.6.0.0 because it's the version of a database used at work...).

When I run the Oracle installer it doesn't give me the option to create a new database, and alI the guides setup I've managed go find say that the installer will prompt me to create a database. Why don't I get this option?

I'm using a standalone pc (at home) that doesn't have access to any existing Oracle databases on a network, so I need a local database.

Is there a guide that explains how to install a "standalone" instance of Oracle and how to configure the various configuration files such as the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files? I'm struggling with error messages such as "TNS:No Listener"...

Is there a way to make a "copy" of the database used at work on my home machine (the structure, not the actual data)?

Thanks Received on Mon Feb 09 2004 - 12:32:45 CST