Re: ODBC / OCI

From: Vu Pham <vu_at_sivell.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 06:40:33 -0600

Rene Nyffenegger" <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch> wrote in message news:c0586n$12gel2$1_at_ID-82536.news.uni-berlin.de...

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am sorry if this question is so simple or has been answered somewhere.
> > did some Google search but maybe I did'nt use the correct keywords.
> >
> > I am looking for the benefit comparison between using ODBC or OCI to
connect
> > to a remote Oracle server. The platform for the app is W2k.
>
> ODBC is built upon OCI, that is ODBC uses OCI to communicate with Oracle
> Server.
>
> The advantage of ODBC is: once you know its API, you can use the same
> API for all database products that have an ODBC layer. The disadvantage
> of ODBC is: it doesn't support the whole possibilities that OCI gives
> you.

Rene, thanks for the explanation.

> An advantage of OCI is: it can be compiled on Unix as well as Windows.
> (Which might not be very important in your case).

This is a point I really like on OCI. Although this app needs to be able to work on Windows for the customers who users W2k as their workstations, I don't not like the idea to be bound to a single platform.

> I have tried to do some basic OCI stuff once and have put the result
> on my web page, if you're interested it's here:
>
> http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/misc/oci/

Thanks again.

Vu Received on Mon Feb 09 2004 - 06:40:33 CST