Re: Index Ordered Table ordering

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2004 10:25:39 -0800

Kris Jenkins <krisajenkins_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<401e2c88$0$16460$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to choose the order of Index Ordered Tables?
>
> I've got a table like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE prices (
> price integer,
> id integer
> CONSTRAINT prices_pri PRIMARY KEY ( price, id )
> ) ORGANIZATION INDEX;
>
> ...and this gives me a table that is effectively 'ORDER BY price ASC, id
> ASC'. What I'd really like is to have it natively stored as 'ORDER BY
> price *DESC*, id ASC'.
>
> Is that possible?
>
> If not I'll store price as (-1 * price), but that's not ideal.
>
> Cheers,
> Kris

you shouldn't care until you query the data. Stop thinking of ORACLE as a file system and think in terms of tables (ie UNORDERED SETS of data). Besides your initial assumption is wrong. The indices do not have any special ordering.

Fact is, that index would work just fine for a query like:

SELECT * FROM prices_pri
WHERE price BETWEEN 0.01 AND 0.99
ORDER BY price DESC, id ;

HTH,
  ed Received on Tue Feb 03 2004 - 12:25:39 CST