Re: Strategy for Web based Oracle application

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2004 17:46:02 -0800

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0402020013.41276881_at_posting.google.com>...
> Rick, you have just highligted (like so many others) one of the
> numerous problems when dealing with web applications. Nothing
> personal.. so stand just a tad to that side while I swing my lead pipe
> violenty in the air and foam at the mouth.
>
> Business needs and requirements must drive technology.
>
> Instead, we have technology attempting to drive business needs. Who
> needs a real solution when web buzzwords can be thrown around as "the
> solution"?
>
> Fact. HTML, HTTP and web browsers were *NEVER* designed for being
> application front-ends.
>
> Hell... a web browser is called a web BROWSER.. and still people
> insist on silly idea in trying to make it an application front-end?
> Trying to handle complex GUI interaction with the user? Using menu and
> function driven options? Within the limits and restrictions and
> real-estate space of a stateless browser?

I agree, but it is a heckuva lot easier to post with dejanews than slrn, if you don't have control of the OS and network configurations.

> In the time it takes a team of 10 developers to put together a web
> application, configure the web server, deal with its 3 to 4 tier
> complexity and what not... I would have written that complete
> application in less than half the time using something like Delphi.
> Using all the SAME thin-client techniques that makes a thin-client
> architecture desirable. (this is not an idle boast either)
>
> This reminds me all too much of the Emporer and his clothes... when
> will people start to admit that web applications are a misrable
> failure ito ease-of-development, lowering cost, flexibility,
> maintenance, performance, scalability, giving the users what *THEY*
> want...?
>
> THE EMPORER IS FRIGGEN NAKED!!!
What, someone _else_ is running around on the superbowl field?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/mon/splsect/news_mz1x2gallry.html