Re: Oracle export

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:34:12 -0500

"rod" <toto_at_toto.fr> wrote in message

| Hi,
|
| Is it possible to export ONLY the schema from a DEV database

yes : exp ... rows=n

... to a PRODUCTION database.
| I would like to do that when I add a new column within an existing
database(this
| column is set, for example, to NOT NULL DAFAULT 0) on my DEV environment.
| Then I would like to update the schema on the PROD environment.

no can do -- not with export/import

import can create an object if it does not exists, but cannot reverse engineer the ALTER TABLE commands to modify an object

| So I want to see the new column but, of course, I want to keep the datas
on the
| PROD.
| The exp command with rows=N is not working.
| If the Table already exists, it is not doing anything!!

looks like you're seeing the behavior described about

| It is not able to add the new column and set the default value for each
row!!

| Is it possible to do it using 'exp' or using another command?
| I would like to not use a script to do it.

some tools like TOAD have a compare schemas utility that generates the necessary DDL to synchronize schemas

you could roll your in PL/SQL and use db links between DEV and PROD environments...

| Thanks

you're quite welcom