Re: query issue

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 21:46:41 -0800

Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com> wrote

> > Billy
> Actually, given his sample data, I believe he would get
> 1231456 61
> 1231456 62
> 1231456 63
> since each ROW is distinct.

Exactly, Ed. Sorry - the point I was trying to make was blunted by skewering the wrong data. ;-)

The fact I was trying to convey is that a SELECT DISTINCT does exactly that - returns a list of distinct values. Nothing more. The user needs to make sure that a distinct list of values is what he wants to answer his question.

I.e. saying that a SELECT DISTINCT does not work because it does not give you what you want, does not hold water, or keeps the beers cold, the women wild or peanut bowl full.

--
Billy