Re: query issue

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 28 Jan 2004 21:34:43 -0800

josephcurwen_at_despammed.com (curwen) wrote:

> I'm in deep struggle with query from a huge table:

Huge is relative. :-)

> what I've got is a lot of records like:
>
> _______________
> numb fk1
> _______________
> 1231456 61
> 1231456 62
> 1231456 63
> 1231456 61
>
> from my view I should only get the last record:
> __________
> 123456 61

Use a GROUP BY the foriegn key and select MAX (the last) number. E.g.

SELECT
  MAX(numb) "NUMB",
  fk1
FROM relatively_huge_table
GROUP BY fk1

> last has to be intended as inserting order, there's not sorting defined on data
> the table has also a progressive id generated by a sequence..

To add to what Daniel said.. in a blunt way using nice friendly letters... empty your cup of preconceptions of what you think a RDBMS is and then fill it with some RTFM'ing.

> I've tried the the following , but doesn't work:
>
> select distinct numb,fk1
> from <table>

It does work - just not the way you think. :-)

You are aksing for distinct/unique values - for *both* number and foreign key. Thus you will get:
123456 61
123457 61

Both these are unique.

--