Re: Thanks Re: Stop Oracle Service

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:05:40 GMT

bonehead wrote:

> Once again I find myself feeling that odd mixture of gratitude and
> revulsion that is so peculiar to those who post naive questions on the
> usenet. Many thanks to all who replied, including the rude ones.
>
> Hans Forbrich wrote:
> > Other than making sure the database is not available and not using
> > CPU, I can think of no legitimate reason for this comment.
>
> I should have included additional information. This particular laptop on
> which I installed 9i Personal is a 6-yr-old VAIO running a PII233
> w/192mb RAM. The HD is 20Gb but only 10Gb are allotted for Win2K as it
> is a Win2K/RH9 dual boot. I'm not using it for anything other than
> practice and learning.

Ouch. That machine is at the bottom end of what's needed. I'm impressed that you even have it running, as the realistic spec is usually given around P600/512M and the minimum is P233/256M.

OTOH, it will be great for showing and verifying performance improvement techniques as long as you don't swap much.

In your case, shutting down Oracle is truly legitimate, as attempting anything at the same time as the database-instance is running will likely be painfully slow.

/Hans Received on Tue Jan 27 2004 - 19:05:40 CST