Re: Oracle Forms vs Visual Studio .Net

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:05:56 GMT

In article <6a8cdd95.0401261043.38dc9464_at_posting.google.com>, gforestieri9_at_yahoo.com (Greg Forestieri) wrote:

>Someone else brought this up already, that is, that the issue is not
>so much Forms vs. .NET. They really don't go head to head that much.

Well, that WAS THE issue when this thread got started. Someone else may have had a different mindset, but the OP was asking about Forms vs. .Net (as the thread title shows). As for whether it's a fair or valid comparison, .NET can be used for the same type of applications... if you're looking for a simple C-S solution, both will serve (Forms 6i, anyway... with the proviso that 6i is about to become unsupported).

I would NOT speak to "J2EE vs. VS.NET," because I'm not qualified to make an argument there.

>It's more J2EE vs. .NET. Forms is it's own market, which really never
>has been "huge" in the sense that .NET could become huge someday (and
>is seeming to be on it's way there already in some regards). Don't
>get me wrong I love Forms, it's great in a lot of apps, but internet
>and large intranets is not one of them.

I like Forms 6i too... though, it has its faults, as they all do. If it is agreed that the Forms market is small(ish) to begin with, I believe it is only going to get smaller as desupported 6i users and customers looking for simple c-s solutions are given no (acceptable) Forms option and forced to move on to something else. Received on Tue Jan 27 2004 - 08:05:56 CST