Re: -- advantage BLOB or file on file system --

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 21:25:02 -0800

"REM" <ilica.brnadic_at_zg.hinet.hr> wrote

> I have some problems. It's dilemma between BLOB, BFILE and takes care of
> file on file system. What it's advantage??

BFILEs and CLOBs have very different advantages and disadvanteges - thus IMO there's not much of a dilemma in choosing the right one.

> I import some PDF document in BLOB filed in my database. It's about 1000
> documents on day.
>
> My first question is: if I have a PDF on file system about 100 kb and if I
> import this in BLOB field in database. How much it's take more recourse.

Space is a consideration in any database, however it should not be the primary one. At the end of the day, the business want to see just how well this database & server are meeting their requirements. If it takes 50GB more to turn a mediocre offering into a good and efficient and robust solution, I don't see them fretting about that.

--
Billy