Snapshot Logs without Snapshots?

From: K Brown <katrzyna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 06:37:34 -0800

Greetings all. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use Snapshot Logs without actually setting up a Snapshot. Here's my situation, and bear in mind that I'm a datawarehouse designer with substantial ETL experience against Oracle, but not an actual Oracle DBA.

We're creating a datamart with Oracle as the source. There are multiple locations around the world so there's no true down time for a mart load, and we need relatively current (but not real time) data. So we're trying to implement a changed data capture using snapshot logging but we have no real need or desire for true replicated snapshots. But from what I can tell, the snapshot log date (SNAPTIME$$) is always the 1/1/4000 unless it's been updated by the actual snapshot, which we don't have. We were hoping to use that SNAPTIME$$ as a timestamp but it doesn't look that way. So we're casting about, trying to figure some way to make the snapshot log capture the true SYSDATE of when the log record gets written, rather than the default 1/1/4000.

Any thoughts out there? All information, guesses, or just plain noodling gratefully pondered.

Thanks,
K Brown Received on Mon Jan 26 2004 - 08:37:34 CST