Re: PLZ GUIDE ME

From: Steve Bell <stephenb_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:08:58 -0500

I agree with Daniel and DJ, but I'd like to add just a couple of small things.

If you can afford courses, that would be my first suggestion. A good instructor can work with you as you practice and can anticipate concepts that will be most difficult for someone new to the subject matter. They can provide examples from their experience about how the concepts are used in practice and offer you tremendous help to move forward.

If courses are not an option, hopefully you can install Oracle at home. Get some books that have exercises in them to allow you to practice for yourself, in addition to the theory oriented documentation and books. In addition to the Oracle published documentation, you can search the newsgroup archives to find good book recommendations at almost any level and subject.

I also suggest that you keep reading the postings in this, and related, Oracle newsgroups. You will begin to find that more of the postings make sense, that you understand the poster's question. Look at the skills employers are requesting As this happens, you'll also find that you understand better the qualifications for positions being offered in your area.

In some ways it's like the old saying about applying for bank loans: "They won't give you a loan until you can prove you don't need the money." If you're looking for an Oracle related career just because someone told you there are jobs in it, it may not be the right move for you. However, if you find you like it, it's definitely a rewarding field to pursue. Work on learning it and practicing. As your confidence and skill increases, you will find yourself comfortable in applying for a job that will get your foot in the door. From there keep learning, do a good job and you will move into more senior positions.

Regards,

Steve